sqlite problems on Mac OS X 10.4

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Sep 9 18:19:56 CEST 2005

Jim Correia wrote:

> Does BDB have different performance characteristics or semantics? If  I
> build with the BDB backend, t.lock3 passes very quickly.

Yes, concurrency was removed from the Berkeley DB backend, albeit for different
reasons (namely that the lock table sizing was difficult to get right).

> I let the sqlite test run for 30 minutes this morning without  completing.
>
> Does t.lock3 pass on your platform when using the sqlite backend?

Yes, and in reasonable time. (Linux w/ 1.8 GHz "Athlon XP 2500+", software
RAID1 on a sluggish Western Digital 5400/min and a halfway fast DTLA 7200/min
drive, ATA/66 and ATA/100):

PASS: t.lock3
==================
All 1 tests passed
==================
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ma/mywork/bogofilter-head/build-sqlite/src/tests'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ma/mywork/bogofilter-head/build-sqlite/src/tests'

real    0m10.168s
user    0m3.873s
sys     0m0.255s

(I'd run make check TESTS=t.lock3).

I don't know and know no way to tell if the check is just making slow progress
or none at all. Finding out the amount of concurrency that triggers bugs,
finishes reasonably fast on intact systems and doesn't take excessively long on
older systems is a bit difficult.