sqlite problems on Mac OS X 10.4

Jim Correia jim.correia at pobox.com
Fri Sep 9 14:37:18 CEST 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 4:02 AM, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Jim Correia <jim.correia at pobox.com> writes:
>
>> Any idea about the hangs in t.lock3? (Should I just stick with bdb
>> for now?)
>
> Apparently it isn't hanging, but looping. t.lock3 can take minutes to
> finish, particularly on slower drives (Powerbook perhaps?)

No, desktop machine. It isn't brand new, but it is no slouch either.

Dual 1.25 GHz G4 with ATA/100 disk.

The machine is otherwise mostly idle when the regression tests are
run. (In other words, certainly other tasks are running, but load and
disk I/O for all other tasks is insignificant compared to the
bogofilter processes.)

> I don't think it is, if it were deadlocked, it wouldn't be calling
> back

I didn't mean deadlocked in the blocking sense, but was instead
hypothesizing that everybody was politely sleeping and waiting for
everyone else.

> rand_sleep. t.lock3 is however, as connotated above, sensitive to I/O
> speed, I/O load, also to context switch overhead, other system
> load, and
> can take several minutes to finish. I'm not sure how to best
> address this.

Does BDB have different performance characteristics or semantics? If
I build with the BDB backend, t.lock3 passes very quickly.

I let the sqlite test run for 30 minutes this morning without
completing.

Does t.lock3 pass on your platform when using the sqlite backend?

Jim