0.93.6 vs 0.94.0

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 25 19:32:01 CET 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:02:03 -0800
.rp wrote:

> > > Our users are concerned with managability, and I think if we make
> > > them read the release notes of a version never released, they'll
> > > jump at us, and with good reason. That we changed things (like
> > > removing DB 3.1 support) from 0.93.J to 0.93.K is no big deal as
> > > long as we don't do that again after a stable 0.93.M release.
> >
> > One of our problems is that we can't make _read_ the release notes,
> > even for the current release!  There are still people who're running
> > old versions, for example 0.17.5.  When they upgrade, there is a lot
> > of reading that they _should_ do.  Having info on a "never stabilized"
> > version is a minor concern.
>
> Well as one of those still using 0.1x , I would say that it would be very
> usefull if the ReleaseNotes where made available separate from the whole
> dang package AND if it was better written for those who are not super
> technical manual readers. (I read the notes for .91.x and was so confused
> and bewildred by the language and layout that it simply froze me out).

If you go to the bogofilter file download page, i.e.
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=62265 you'll see
that RELEASE.NOTES is available separately.  This has been standard
practice as far back as I can recall.

> Maybe a completely document would better serve the BF community.

Documentation is always a thorny problem.  Different readers have
different needs, which makes a "one size fits all" document very
difficult.  If I had a solution to the problem, I'd probably be teaching
technical writing.

If you've got suggestions, we're open!  Unfortunately, I can't guarantee
the readability :-<

Regards,

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800