simplicity vs safety with complexity

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 17:48:47 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> > Not necessarily. We have bogoutil options to get rid of large log files,
> > and we have a helper script that dumps an uncompressed tarball to
> > standard output, for backup/archive purposes, but could also be used
> > with "tar -C somewhere -xpf -" to copy the database.
>
> Why can't bogofilter be made to automatically clean up after itself?

It can.

Human resources being the limiting factor in implementing everything at
once...

> Some threshold parameter(s) could be added to the config file and/or as
> command line flags.  When bogofilter is done processing the spam and
> possibly updating the database, it could perform some simple database
> checks, like the size of the log files, and if above the threshold, it
> would automatically clean up after itself.

As a quick solution, just add bogoutil --db-prune=$HOME/.bogofilter
to your crontab and run as often as desired, daily should be sufficient
for users that aren't running bogofilter -u on a high-traffic site or
have otherwise high registration "load".

That gets rid of unneeded logs.