Can bogofilter run by multiprocess at the same time

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 10:05:36 CEST 2004

.™.æ.».Â’. <john.chen at net263.com> writes:

> Yes, I have done that. I used a mutex to ensure there is only one
> bogoiflter process running at any time. The performance is not bad. But
> sometimes when there are many emails, some clients may timeout although
> the timeout is as long as seconds. And the load of the central machine
> is not very high : load average 9.00, idle 66%. So I think it's because
> that only once process can make the full usage of CPU.

Bogofilter is also I/O bound to access its data base, and unfortunately,
there is no uniform way to detect I/O load on POSIX systems. Many will
offer systat or iostat or provide information through vmstat or
similar. "Cheap" hard disk drives of the 7200/min kind are limited to
something between 40 and 90 transactions per second usually - and
depending on exact OS and version, this shows up as "idle" time (Linux
2.2, 2.4, FreeBSD 4), on other OSs, this shows up as "busy" time or
"iowait" time (Linux 2.6, FreeBSD 5 IIRC).

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)