command line options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jan 19 16:30:08 CET 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:12:08 +0100
Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
>
> > No.  It means that any config file option can be put on the command
> > line.  If we're going to allow _any_ of the config file options on
> > the command line, we might as well allow them all.  The command line
> > will still have its single character switches.
>
> We could save some of the latter, though, for example:
> -k, -m, -o, -y
>
> pi

As of two days ago, bogofilter had command line switches (single
characters, some with values) and config file options (multi-char names,
all with values).  Some switches have equivalent options.

Adding "--option=value" made it possible to use any of the config file
options on the command line.  No changes have been made to allow
switches in the config file.

Of the switches you mention, "-m" and "-o" are (I think) quite useful
while "-k" and "-y" are (I think) of little use.  Of course other users
have different priorities than I, so let's just leave them as they are.

I _am_ planning to implement the standard gnu long option parsing.  It
won't happen before 0.17, so I won't have to deal with deprecated
options.