failure building static 0.15.9

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Dec 6 15:03:08 CET 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> --enable-static has been part of bogofilter since I upgraded my
> workstation from glibc-2.2 to glibc-2.3 and my dynamically linked
> executables wouldn't run on machines with the older glibc.
>
> A missing symlink from libdb.a to libdb-4.0.a sound like a broken
> install.

Whenever a system installs libdb.a into /usr/lib, it cannot support
multiple BerkeleyDB versions - the reverse means systems that DO support
multiple BerkeleyDB versions in system directories will not install
"libdb.a" without prefix. We'll have to adjust to such installs.

SuSE Linux 8.2 (only listing non-documentation and non-SuSE-specific
files):

db RPM:

/usr/lib/libdb-4.0.so
/usr/lib/libdb-4.so
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.0.so
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.so

db-devel RPM:

/usr/include/db.h
/usr/include/db4
/usr/include/db4/cxx_common.h
/usr/include/db4/cxx_except.h
/usr/include/db4/db.h
/usr/include/db4/db_185.h
/usr/include/db4/db_cxx.h
/usr/include/db_185.h
/usr/include/db_cxx.h
/usr/lib/libdb-4.0.a
/usr/lib/libdb-4.0.la
/usr/lib/libdb.so
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.0.a
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx-4.0.la
/usr/lib/libdb_cxx.so

You see: no libdb.a.

I still have no good idea how to handle this - if we can sacrifice
cross-compilation (i. e. compile for sparc on your intel Linux), then we
can solve it.