failure building static 0.15.9

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Dec 6 05:53:28 CET 2003

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:23:46 -0800
Allyn Fratkin <allyn at fratkin.com> wrote:

> hi bogofilter-dev guys.
>
> i'm having a problem compiling bogofilter 0.15.9 statically
> on redhat 9.  i always build static versions of bogofilter for use on
> my web host's system where my mail is delivered.  this hasn't
> been a problem before (last version i built was 0.14.5.4).
> but 0.15.9 is eluding me.
>
> first problem to note is that there has always been an issue with
> redhat (8 and 9) that i don't understand: a libdb.so is shipped
> but not a libdb.a .  so i've always specifically had to modify the
> Makefile to indicate -ldb-4.0 so the linker can find the archive
> version of the db lib.

Hi Allyn,

'Tis good to hear from you.  It's been a while....

libdb.so and libdb.a are very different animals, though closely related.
 libdb.so is the shared library and is dynamically linked to the
executable, i.e. loaded at run time.  libdb.a is the static library and
is baked into the executable at build (link) time.  Typically .a files
are part of a devel package since they're used when building.  Look for
a db4-devel rpm ...

> now there's a new --enable-static version of configure.  this problem
> isn't fixed like i thought it would be.  so i've finally modified my
> system to make a symlink from libdb.a pointing to libdb-4.0.a .
> (but i still think this is a bug in configure).

--enable-static has been part of bogofilter since I upgraded my
workstation from glibc-2.2 to glibc-2.3 and my dynamically linked
executables wouldn't run on machines with the older glibc.

A missing symlink from libdb.a to libdb-4.0.a sound like a broken
install.

> unfortunately the compile still fails with the following errors:

I have to pass on this last item and defer to Matthias' greater
knowledge of such matters.

Hope this helps.