Per-domain filtering using Bogofilter

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Mon Aug 25 16:00:36 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:21:33AM +0200, Noor Dawod wrote:
> Hello and thanks for replying in a short notice.
>
> I know I could do this using a sh/bash script, or using any other
> language for that manner, but the thing with Bogofilter that cought my
> attention is that it's written in C and compiled to run as binary --
> rather as an interpreter-based script. This gives an extra boost to the
> whole Email delivery and filteration process.

Calling bogofilter from a shell script is going to be a little slower,
but not by much. On most modern systems, a frequently executed program
would be cached in memory so there's very little slowdown due to disk
reads. Try it. You'd be surprised at how fast it really is.

> So the thing is that it's possible to do this using a shell script, but
> adding this feature to Bogofilter gives an unparalled speed and of
> course it is not such a big deal. Just get the domain from a
> "Delivered-To" header, and the rest is based on that domain...

hmm. Sounds like you're using qmail, which means you'll need to exec
several programs in order to filter and deliver the mail anyway.

> What do you think?

I strongly disagree with adding this feature when a shell script can do
the job just as well.

-Gyepi