RPM Upgrade

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri May 23 17:34:20 CEST 2003

At 11:20 AM 5/23/03, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 09:53:23AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
>[...]
> > Close, but not quite.  The problem is that have upgraded my Mandrake 9.0
> > from glibc-2.2 to glibc-2.3.  This results in a dependency in
> > bogofilter...i586.rpm that prevents it loading/running on glibc-2.2
> > systems.  I still have copies of glibc-2.2 available.  The big question is
> > how to make "make rpm" use them.  I've experimented and found that using
> > "make LDFLAGS=xxx rpm" I can modify the parameters used when linking the
> > executables.  So the question become "how does one tell ld to build an ELF
> > executable with an older glibc?"
>
>Even if you managed to install both versions at the same time (not
>only the library but also the devel-package), it would not work. When
>checking the dependencies rpm will probably use objdump or ldd[1] on
>the resulting binary which will find the system Glibc (2.3) and add it
>as dependency to the rpm. The chroot-idea will work.
>
>BTW, what is so bad about compiling bogofilter?

Greetings Andreas,

Generally, it's not too hard.  I spent much of yesterday trying to create a
Makefile.am that would allow me to build
    1 - dynamically linked executables
or 2 - statically linked executables
or 3 - both

I wanted "make all" or "make shared" to do #1; "make static" to do #2; and
"make shared static" do #3.  My final solution (today) is to have
Makefile-static.am to handle #2.  For #3 I can now do "make all" and "make
-f Makefile-static static".

As an added complication, bogofilter.spec.in needs to do "make -f
Makefile-static static install_binPROGRAMS".  Simply running "make -f
Makefile-static all install" builds the dynamically linked versions, though
I can't figure out why.

At the moment, I'm not motivated to attempt the chroot idea :-(

David