RPM Upgrade

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Fri May 23 17:20:00 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 09:53:23AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
[...]
> Close, but not quite.  The problem is that have upgraded my Mandrake 9.0
> from glibc-2.2 to glibc-2.3.  This results in a dependency in
> bogofilter...i586.rpm that prevents it loading/running on glibc-2.2
> systems.  I still have copies of glibc-2.2 available.  The big question is
> how to make "make rpm" use them.  I've experimented and found that using
> "make LDFLAGS=xxx rpm" I can modify the parameters used when linking the
> executables.  So the question become "how does one tell ld to build an ELF
> executable with an older glibc?"

Even if you managed to install both versions at the same time (not
only the library but also the devel-package), it would not work. When
checking the dependencies rpm will probably use objdump or ldd[1] on
the resulting binary which will find the system Glibc (2.3) and add it
as dependency to the rpm. The chroot-idea will work.

BTW, what is so bad about compiling bogofilter?

cat ~/.rpmmacros
%_topdir                /tmp/ametzler-redhat-build

mkdir -p /tmp/ametzler-redhat-build/{SPECS,SOURCES,BUILD,RPMS/i386}
rpm -i bogofilter.src.rpm
cd /tmp/ametzler-redhat-build/SPECS
rpm -bb bogofilter.spec
        cu andreas

[1] I do not know, but that is how works on debian.