Bogofilter and zmailer

Marek Kowal marek.kowal at portal.onet.pl
Thu May 22 06:47:30 CEST 2003

Dear David and Matthias (and others!),

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll test the patch ASAP, from what it
looks like, it will work correctly. As to Matthias proposal, the

    sed '1,/^env_end$/ d' filename

is totally unapplicable in my environment, as it means yet another fork on
the system. One fork per mail - this would fry my machines right away.
Sometimes I process more than hundred of mails per second (this is a very
big site).

As a command-line option of course it does not make sense to incorporate
searching of the string in a text - the option wouldn't be really required
by most of the users, as standard content filtering in zmailer requires to
fork the "analysis" program anyway. But even then, this would mean twice
less forks. Though in my setup (which is rather tricky and requires tweaking
the code of the zmailer), with bogofilter bulk mode, I fork once, during
initialization phase.

So how about just the option for the configuration file? I would provide
appropriate patches. The point is, bogofilter undergoes very rapid changes,
so I would have to adopt my patch every one-two weeks, unless the change
goes to the main repository. That's why I specifically asked for the bulk
mode to be put to the production sources few weeks ago - for exactly the
same reason.

Aside from that, I will soon provide instructions to merge vanilla zmailer
with the standard bogofilter, in a setup that will do for most of the admins
(I mean the integration at the SMTP delivery channel, not at the
.procmailrc, which is obvious and SMTP server independent). In such a setup
the X-Bogosity header is added to every mail passing through the system,
optionally turning the feature on/off depending on the domain of the
reciepent from the envelope. I have found such a setup most usefull for
standard ISPs. This could go to the docs of the bogofilter.

Hoping to hear "yes" from you... ;-)))

Cheers,
Marek