Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri May 9 23:53:02 CEST 2003

Adrian Otto <aotto at aotto.com> writes:

> Subscribers,
>
> The bogofilter at aotto.com and bogofilter-dev at aotto.com lists now replace
> the Reply-To: header with the address of the appropriate mailing list so
> that responses will be posted to the list.

You're throwing away essential header information that aren't yours to
tamper with. Please revert that change.

> A known side-effect of this feature is that misconfigured "out of the
> office" or vacation messages that use the Reply-To: instead of the From:
> address will end up posted to the list. It's the belief of most key list
> members

Well, at least I have mentioned an opposite view in the past that I
still maintain. I wonder what those key list members are and what
insight into RFC-2822 they have. Convenience is no excuse for
mutilation. You don't excuse running through bicyclists with your car's
mirror with convenience either.

> that this is a reasonable side effect. The convenience is worth the
> occasional trash on the list.

Stomping over user fields is unreasonable, and for "convenience" it's
plain unacceptable. See my other mail.

"Group Reply" or "Reply To All" is not in the least less convenient than
just "Reply". Let's not cater for idiots who are too dumb to use their
mailers. Even Outlook Express gets _this_ one right, so I fail to see
the mailer that profits from this Reply-To mutilation.