the recent ^From issues.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 27 13:29:55 CET 2003

Hi,

I have been unable to track bogofilter development last week, but I
gather as much:

* The "From " line is not only detected in the "header" lexer that is
  to figure the structure, but also in the text/plain and text/html
  lexer.

My original idea about splitting the lexers was to separate functions,
and it seems the current implementation misses the point.

I suspect that other lexers still duplicate functionality of
lexer_head.l, which they must not.

My original idea was to have one lexer (lexer_head.l) to gather the
structure, and pass decoded stuff down to the "token extracting"
lexers. Given that "^From " lines will never be encoded, this is
clean.

Any rules that are aware of the message or MIME structure in
lexer_text_{plain,html}.l are clearly misplaced under these assumptions.

Do we have all of Matt's "interesting" messages that dug up these
problems in bogofilter? I'd like to clean up this mess before we go
stable, because my belly tells me that the current code is fragile.