NEWS file

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Jan 21 01:21:36 CET 2003

At 07:05 PM 1/20/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've seen that the NEWS file has a pretty long record for the new 0.10.0
>release. While this is to be appreciated, I find it too long, I'd think
>that a new version fits into a screenful of an xterm, that's 80 by 24
>characters.

Yes, the changes for 0.10.0 have gotten long.  Much has happened since the
early December release of 0.9.1.2.

>If we want a real ChangeLog, then I can lend a cvs2cl.pl-wrapper from
>leafnode and stuff that into bogofilter, and if we want a summarized
>changelog, then the current 0.10.0 stuff in NEWS is perfect -- but it'd
>best be placed in another file, say, CHANGES, or LONGNEWS.

I'm unfamiliar with cvs2cl.pl.  Sounds like a tool to accumulate all the
cvs comments and create a ChangeLog with all the details of every change to
cvs.  That's a bit too much detail for my taste.

Sounds like you want a new, different NEWS file that's 80 by 24.  Are you
suggesting that we rename the current NEWS to CHANGES (as one big file) or
split NEWS into multiple CHANGES-0.x.y files (with one per releasee)?

>Opinions?

Sounds reasonable :-)