mime.c

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jan 4 02:02:54 CET 2003

At 07:52 PM 1/3/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

>relson at users.sourceforge.net writes:
>
> > Add "application/" to mime types recognized.
> > Complain when bogofilter is presented with a mime specification it
> > doesn't recognize.
>
>What good is that? I think this constitutes a problem, because a mail
>can then make bogofilter print something, which might be a robustness or
>security issue after some future changes. If bogofilter prints errors
>for local issues (DB corruption, file not found, I/O error), that's
>fine, but the output should always be independent of the mail contents.

Well, I think there should be a warning when bogofilter encounters an
unknown mime specification.  It's O.K. by me to use a simple message like
"unknown mime encoding", rather than a message that quotes part of the mail
contents.

Of course any spammer who uses a bogus specification risks the message
being unreadable - which is _not_ their goal.

>(In fact, some mail processing systems consider a filter command that
>prints anything to stderr as failed, no matter what the exit code is.)

Matthias,

How would