[cvs] bogofilter common.h,1.28,1.29

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Mon Dec 16 00:23:14 CET 2002

On 20021215 (Sun) at 1719:05 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 04:58 PM 12/15/02, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> >Better, but I'm not too comfortable with that now. Someone might want
> >hour precision, someone else minute precision. There are ready-made
> >functions to present or parse dates to/from time_t, you'll have to bring
> >your own for "days since 2000-01-01".
>
> Matthias,
>
> Let's not forget the purpose of the value - to allow the discarding of old
> tokens.  Let's also not forget how the capability is invoked, by a simple
> "-a count" where count is a number of days.  I don't see a need for
> precision, i.e. delete all tokens older than "3 months, 7 days, 13 hours,
> 22 minuts".

That doesn't seem to me to be the issue.  The issue is that there is a
conventional and well-supported way to deal with timestamping, viz.,
time_t and the functions that work with it.  There is much to be said,
in regard to long-term maintainability/accessibility, for doing it the
way it's normally done.  Reinventing wheels again... my vote, FWIW, is
with Matthias on this one.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |