locking again

Matt Armstrong matt at lickey.com
Sun Dec 15 20:03:21 CET 2002

Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:27:58PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Could you have a look at
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=653420&group_id=62265&atid=499997
>>
>> David Saez suggests using BDB's native locking rather than fcntl. Would
>> that be possible for our setup? Would it bring any advantage?

[...]

> What would help, however, is for us to use transactions.

BDB transactions require some extra overhead and work on the part of
the programs using the database, extra overhead when modifying the
database, as well as extra locking before the BDB environment is set
up to ensure that the database crash recovery stuff is done correctly.
I'm not sure BDB would acquire any benefit from their use.