broken builds?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 01:47:52 CET 2002

Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> writes:

> I just updated from cvs,
> and ran the following commands after a make clean and make distclean
> and got the following errors:
>   LDADD (User, where = Makefile.am:20) +=
>   {
>     ENABLE_ROBINSON_FISHER_TRUE => dcdflib/src/libdcdf.a
>     ENABLE_ROBINSON_FISHER_FALSE =>
>   }

> : warning: automake does not support LDADD being defined conditionally
>
> I am using automake 1.6.1

Update to 1.6.3 if you can, or 1.7.1 (when installing from source, you
should be able to install 1.6.3 and 1.7.1 in parallel).

However, the conditional += that we're using is only supported by 1.7 or
newer. We can easily live without that and make this one static, because
the linker will only pull the object file in if it's actually needed.

You'll still need autoconf 2.56 though. (the 2.55 in configure.in is not
a typo, it has all required features, but you can't install it out of
the box because a script is not executable in the 2.55 tarball).

I'm committing a Makefile.am change to shuffle more files into the
libraries, for faster linking, less Makefile.am worries and slightly
reduced executable sizes in case we accidentally forgot to remove a set
of source files from a name_SOURCES list, for example rstats.[hc] which
is unneeded when both Robinson-based algorithms are disabled.

Let ld collect whatever it needs rather than us typing our fingers until
they bleed...