charset implementtion progress

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Nov 26 21:56:27 CET 2002

Matt,

I think it's pretty clear that there is no one "correct" way to deal with
asian languages.  Anyone knowing me would know that I don't read _any_
asian language, so it's silly to send me email using charset euc_kr,
iso-2022-kr, ks_c_5601-1987, big5, csbig5, etc.  They'd also know that many
iso-8859 charsets are unknown to me - cyrillic, greek, hebrew, etc.

Given all those charsets that mean little to me, the only ones that appear
regularly happen to be euc_kr, iso-2022-kr, and ks_c_5601-1987.  Some
people evidently neither know who I am, nor care what I can read.  They
just send it.

Anyhow, I deal with the far east by using iptable rules to block some
address blocks and procmail recipes to redirect messages with certain
charsets to a "spam-unreadable" file.

If someone _is_ using bogofilter and the defaults are contrary to their
needs, they will let us know.  We'll add options because we wish to support
all legitimate users.