decoding implementation

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Nov 26 03:05:36 CET 2002

Clint Adams <schizo at debian.org> writes:

> Those are legitimate punctuation marks, though, and in theory bogofilter
> will someday recognize them as such (assuming the charset is
> declared properly), and not treat them as part of "this" or "strange".
>
> If someone does send me mail with the wrong charset, though, I'm going
> to yell them to fix their mail software, much as I complain now when
> someone sends me HTML mail or raw (non-RFC-2047) ISO-8859-{1,15} in
> headers.

Drifting away into advocacy.

I share your attitude towards malformatted mail, and I'm currently
reject mail with unencoded 8-bit headers to some extent, but then,
clueless admins at eBay toss ISO-8859-15 down an US-ASCII channel and
you can choose your poison: accept malformed mail or cancel your ebay.de
account.

If the mail senders are clueless, ignorant, don't care, maybe a friend's
grandmother with Windows, how is that person going to fix M¡¢r*$*ft
bugs? Not at all, I presume. You cannot even expect these people to run
Windows Update every Tuesday.

If that person is bright enough to get and install Netscape 7, you might
be getting somewhere, slowly. But then "Netscrap can't synchronize
addresses with my funky cellular, but L@@k at ut can!" is going to kill
your efforts off. (Alcatel OTE model IIRC) Not that these people would
bother to update their address book if you send a "new email address"
notice their way...

Been there, tried that, failed. 't was also pointless to ask somebody
else (communications engineer!) to update his VPOP3d on W¡nb£oz€. These
things make you speechless, but we have to deal with
that. Somehow. Because you might want to get party invitations from your
friends, and at some point you must give up trying to talk your friends
into using a different software, namely when you're putting the
friendship at stake annoying them.