The magic of Solaris include files.

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Nov 25 22:40:35 CET 2002

gcc 2.95, Solaris 8 sparc:

/usr/include/stdlib.h:191: warning: redundant redeclaration of `optind' in same scope
/usr/include/stdio.h:270: warning: previous declaration of `optind'
/usr/include/unistd.h:442: warning: redundant redeclaration of `tell' in same scope
/usr/include/unistd.h:351: warning: previous declaration of `tell'
/usr/include/unistd.h:449: warning: redundant redeclaration of `ttyname' in same scope
/usr/include/stdlib.h:197: warning: previous declaration of `ttyname'

Do not laugh now. I've seen this with my very eyes. It's a shame.

Among these warnings were some "subscript is of type char warnings", I'm
pretty sure this is a real portability problem, because it hints to a
breakage of ctype.h is* style functions.

Fixing now.