various

Clint Adams schizo at debian.org
Tue Oct 22 18:06:32 CEST 2002

I'm away from civilization at the moment, and I don't have much time, so
I'll just offer a few thoughts based on what I caught skimming the
lists.

The change in -vv behavior has been causing me some consternation,
especially when I am unfortunate enough to have to use a dialup.
I think there is a fundamental problem in treating 'debug' the same way
as 'verbose'.  I suggest keeping -v's for verbose and using another
option for debug (too bad -d's taken).  Multiple -v's would, as now,
increase verbosity, but the debug option would take the bitmask.

Base64 parsing is a problem.  Not only will 'solitary' on a
line be ignored, but a legitimate b64 line, such as
'c29saXRhcnkgd29yZAo=', will be tokenized as 'c29saxrhcnkgd29yzao'.
Unfortunately, 'xrhcnk' on a line by itself is also legal base64.
While this is permissible, I don't think it's common; I think we're
more likely to find base64 lines to be longer than the maximum token
length, except when they end in '='.  I haven't thought this through,
but I think we may get better results if the base64 re was modified to
only catch '='-terminated strings.

I also wanted to gripe about the versioning system but I'll have to
defer that to my next time online.