enhancement: -v, -vv, and -vvv

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Oct 22 17:33:39 CEST 2002

At 11:18 AM 10/22/02, Allyn Fratkin wrote:

>David Relson wrote:
>
>>In a case like this, I often add a "*0" to deactivate the statement, as in:
>>
>>-  if (verbose > 1)
>>+  if (verbose*0 > 1)
>>
>>This leaves the statement in place and allows me to easily reactivate it
>>when I want to.
>
>my intention was not to disable the code, just relocate it to a more
>appropriate (imho) debug level.  since the code isn't mine, it really isn't
>mine to enable or disable.

Allyn,

For you debug level 2 might be appropriate.  Feel free to customize your
copy of the code.  cvs will still be able to keep you current.

Now, imagine someone who wants/needs debug level 2 for testing/debugging
their code.  Having wordhash or database or other messages suddenly showing
up makes life hard for him/her.  So implementing a bit mask, like Gyepi
suggested, is a good thing.    It's also something I've been thinking about
for a while and have partially working.  When I get some other feedback on
the idea, I'll modify what I have and update cvs repository.