[patch] small lexer changes

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Oct 10 02:12:31 CEST 2002

Matthias,

My comment on excluding printf() time in your test didn't sit well with
me.  After sending it, I felt that I was being overly harsh.  Please accept
my apology.

As penance, I build lexertest and bogofilter with ecs and full versions of
lexer.l - a total of 4 executables and ran each of them 5 times using  my
largest available .mbx file ( 251,410 lines, 1,030,459 words, and
13,327,693 chars) on my PIII-500.

My averages are:

lexertest	full	ecs	change
		3.17s	4.80s	+51.48%

bogofilter	full	ecs	change
		45.67s	47.23s	+3.42%

It appears that ecs has a significant impact on lexer speed.  However, as
lexer speed is a small portion of bogofilter's speed, the overall impact of
full vs. ecs is only a +3.42% increase in processing time.  And, as
Matthias pointed out, the program size is much, much reduced.