SpamAssassin's header lines

Ben Rosengart br at panix.com
Tue Oct 8 06:26:56 CEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:02:59PM -0700, Adrian Otto wrote:

> I'm all for keeping things simple, but let's think about this from another
> angle before we dismiss it. Running the messages through procmail to strip
> out unwanted headers is a good approach if you were planning to have
> procmail in the mix already. However, if you need to drop headers to get the
> message evaluation accuracy you want, then it forces you to use procmail or
> maildrop to get tht funcitonality, even if you were not already using them.

Just formail or reformail, which are much smaller than procmail and
maildrop.

> I'm concerned about having multiple instances of applications starting up
> all at once and pipelining them together. With a high volume mail system,
> this could eat up valuable resources quickly. System administrators in this
> situation will be looking for ways to reduce the number of applications that
> need to be started in a command pipeline to deliver a message. One way to
> address this is to have the ability to drop any header you want within
> bogofilter.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business?  Theirs, or yours?"    --Tim O'Reilly