SpamAssassin's header lines

Adrian Otto aotto at aotto.com
Tue Oct 8 06:02:59 CEST 2002

Mark,

> * Graham Wilson <bob at decoy.wox.org> [2002-10-07 15:05:37 -0500]:
> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:21:21PM -0700, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> > > What we need is to allow the user to specify which headers to ignore.
> >
> > lets not reinvent the wheel. both procmail and maildrop have faclities
> > for doing this already.
>
> Ah, thank you.  This neatly dismisses the whole thread, no?  ;)
>
> Seriously though, I'd just as soon *not* put it in if everyone
> agrees with Graham.

I'm all for keeping things simple, but let's think about this from another
angle before we dismiss it. Running the messages through procmail to strip
out unwanted headers is a good approach if you were planning to have
procmail in the mix already. However, if you need to drop headers to get the
message evaluation accuracy you want, then it forces you to use procmail or
maildrop to get tht funcitonality, even if you were not already using them.

I'm concerned about having multiple instances of applications starting up
all at once and pipelining them together. With a high volume mail system,
this could eat up valuable resources quickly. System administrators in this
situation will be looking for ways to reduce the number of applications that
need to be started in a command pipeline to deliver a message. One way to
address this is to have the ability to drop any header you want within
bogofilter.

If this feature is going to be a pain to implement, let's revisit this some
time in the future when scalability is more of a concern.

Adrian