Configurable 'X-Bogosity' message

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Oct 7 01:05:27 CEST 2002

On Sun, 06 Oct 2002, David Relson wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> So, the default has changed from "X-Spam-Status" to "X-Bogosity".  I'll
> update lexer.l which handles the task of removing
> SPAM_HEADER_LINES.  Although the old lexer.l removed lines beginning with
> "X-Spam-*:", I think that the new version will be slightly more limited.
> -    while (returned != NULL && memcmp(buf,"X-Spam-",6) == 0)
> +    while (returned != NULL && memcmp(buf,SPAM_HEADER_NAME,hdrlen) == 0)
>      {
>  	do {
>  	    returned = fgets(buf, max_size, yyin);

I'll object for now. We should NOT pay attention to other X-Spam-
headers (but we should pass them through unless they match the one we
use), because there's potential to let errors in other spam
classification software propagate into bogofilter's judgement. I haven't
set down with pen & paper to look how big the impact would be if we
scored on Spamassassin's headers or something, but it's just a feeling
that it's the wrong thing to do.

And if we deviate from the X-Spam- naming scheme, it makes stripping the
headers (for other tools) more difficult, but if X-Bogosity is the kind
of project identity that's required, then so be it.