printf() vs fprintf()

Gyepi SAM gyepi at praxis-sw.com
Tue Sep 24 22:27:04 CEST 2002

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 09:42:53PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, David Relson wrote:
> > Now fprint() is being used to output messages stdout.  Using grep is
> > broken.  Using scripting is also broken.

Sorry!

> > I've modified my working copy so that it logs output the old way and I'm
> > thinking of changing it in the repository.

I made the change for consistency, and also to allow a separation between
error/verbose messages and filtered output. Otherwise, one could not,
for example, sensibly use -p and -v simultaneously. I think there's a lot
of precedence for this sort of thing in the unix world.

>> Do people feel strongly one way or t'other about this?

I do.

> Should we wrap things up so we can more flexibly log where we want? A
> wrapper?

I am ambivalent about this. One one hand, a wrapper allows you to log to syslog,
but there are tools out there that can log stderr to syslog, so why add it.
OTOH, flexibility can be a good thing.

-Gyepi