Request permission to delete files

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Sep 18 20:16:55 CEST 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Eric Seppanen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:26:20PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > I shall in turn check in a script, cvs-bootstrap.sh, that calls these
> > auto* tools in the right order to reinstantiate all these files.
> >
> > Note, I'm using autoconf 2.54 and automake 1.6.3 here.
>
> You might want to make your script check for the existence of a binaries
> in the path called "autoconf-2.53" (also "autoheader-2.53, etc), and
> "automake-1.5".  That's how they're installed on redhat 7.x machines.  If
> you call "autoconf" you get 2.13.

Looks like the wrong thing. They'd better rename the old one autoconf213
or something, and have autoconf point to the current version. That's how
FreeBSD does it, and it looks like the right thing to me.

> If you wanted to be really clever you could check the output of "autoconf
> --version" and print a verbose message about what's wrong, how to fix it,
> or maybe just recommend that the user grab a tarball instead.

CVS is not for the user, and the tarball will have all required files
and will not depend on autoconf and automake.