Request permission to delete files

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Wed Sep 18 18:36:24 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:26:20PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> I shall in turn check in a script, cvs-bootstrap.sh, that calls these
> auto* tools in the right order to reinstantiate all these files.
>
> Note, I'm using autoconf 2.54 and automake 1.6.3 here.

You might want to make your script check for the existence of a binaries
in the path called "autoconf-2.53" (also "autoheader-2.53, etc), and
"automake-1.5".  That's how they're installed on redhat 7.x machines.  If
you call "autoconf" you get 2.13.

If you wanted to be really clever you could check the output of "autoconf
--version" and print a verbose message about what's wrong, how to fix it,
or maybe just recommend that the user grab a tarball instead.