Verbosity [was: Regression Testing ]

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Mon Sep 16 19:45:49 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 12:24:32PM -0400, David Relson wrote:

> My idea is to have a two part verbosity flag, i.e. section and level.  The
> section part would be a bitmask, for example 1 for getcount(), 2 for
> get/set_word_value(), 4 for register_words(), etc.   The level part would
> be an integer (typically small) like the current "verbose" variable.  I
> suggest names "vmask" for the section mask, and continued use of "verbose"
> for the level.

You're taking what is a developer issue that's simply resolved by changing
a few numbers in the code temporarily and adding all kinds of
infrastructure that has no use to the end user.  It's overkill.

Your problem can also be solved by including words in the output you can
grep for.  If debugging extrema, print "extrema: blah blah" and then run
bogofilter | grep extrema.