ignore-list patch and updated multi-list patch

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Mon Sep 16 06:29:12 CEST 2002

I have a working version of my ignore-list patch.  This patch allows the
user to specify a list of words that should not be used as spam or ham
indicators.  It does this by opening a third list file "ignorelist.db"
(and fails silently if it doesn't exist).

Back when everything was in plain text files, this was a little easier to
do.  This time, to allow the code to treat all list files the same, I
decided to try this: you create a plaintext list of words, then call a new
bogofilter function "-c" that converts the plaintext file to a db file.
So to create an ignore list, create a file "ignorelist" with all the words
you want, then run "bogofilter -c ignorelist" and it will create
ignorelist.db.  Then the next time you run bogofilter, it will ignore
the words you specified.

An alternative approach would be to create direct support for plaintext
word lists.  This didn't seem worth the effort just to get ignore lists,
but if anyone can think of other reasons to support plaintext, I'm willing
to try the other approach.

As I've mentioned before, this patch requires my multi-list patch be
applied first.  While writing this patch, I found a few small errors in
the multi-list patch so I'm publishing a new version of that one too.

Since I have four patches (multi and ignore, for both 0.7 and 0.7.3), I've
placed them here:

http://www.reric.net/bogofilter/

The 0.7 patches require the getopt patch from a while back, otherwise my
ignore patch won't apply cleanly.

Eric