verbosity

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Mon Sep 16 05:41:08 CEST 2002

[ taking a private email suggestion over to the list.  -Eric ]

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 04:09:10PM -0400, David Relson wrote:

> While we're on the subject of testing, I've been wondering what to due
> about verbosity levels.  The subject came up because I added some
> verbose>=2 code to help understand placing of tokens in the extrema
> array.  Of course, verbose>=2 also triggered getcount: messages, which I
> didn't want.  I suspect that every developer will have a different set of
> information that they want to see for each verbosity level.  Does either of
> you have a grand scheme for handling this?

I think getcount messages should go to (verbose >= 3).  I have been
thinking along these lines:

verbose==1: more information for normal users who just want a bit more
detail on what's going on.

verbose==2: more information for developers, limited to output that won't
be more than a few lines.

verbose>=3: more information for serious debugging, OK to start printing
hundreds of lines.  Assume that anyone using this is using grep to find
what they're looking for.