result of sqlite3 --> db conversion

Saša Janiška sjaniska at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 08:53:32 CET 2020

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 00:02:44 +0100
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> Given the file size in relation to the wordlist.db, I would consider
> removing the files a vain endeavour.

OK:

> the log.* file must not be deleted. bogofilter by default only keeps
> those (usually only one) necessary for recovering the database in case
> of crashes.

Aha...that's good.

> The __db.* files and lockfile-* are only safe to remove if no bogo*
> program is running or being started, but they all will be recreated
> next time you're running a bogo* program. The __db.* files are
> created by libdb, and the lockfile-* work around shortcomings of
> Berkeley DB < 4.4 (irrelevant today but no code has been written to
> take advantage of Berkeley DB >= 4.4), lockfile* also serve as crash
> detectors so that bogofilter normally performs auto-recovery when a
> previous process crashed.

Thank you very much for explanation!

I was not sure whether sqlite3 --> db conversion went smoothly, but now I'm
relieved. :-)

> Details are in the doc/README.db file that ships with bogofilter or is
> installed with its docs.

There is onl README.contrib shipped here, but I'll look in the repo.

> Some information is in the bogoutil manual page and you may learn a bit by
> reading the bf_copy/bf_tar scripts.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot and we very much apprreciate that you took over maintainence of
Bogofilter which is still the best anti-spam filter used here for so many
years!

Sincerely,
Saša

--
Whatever action a great man performs, common men follow. And
whatever standards he sets by exemplary acts, all the world pursues.