Problem after upgrade

David Relson relson at
Sat Jul 10 00:54:27 CEST 2004

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:06:41 +0200
Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

> Am Fr, den 09.07.2004 schrieb David Relson um 22:08:
> > You should be able to use "bogoutil -d spamlist.db > spamlist.txt"
> > to save the contents of the spamlist.  If I remember correctly,
> > bogoupgrade is comparable to the following commands:
> >
> > rm -f wordlist.db
> > bogoutil -d goodlist.db > goodlist.txt
> > bogoutil -d spamlist.db > spamlist.txt
> Hi David,
> the last command gives me this error message:
> bogoutil: (db) DB->open(./spamlist.db) - actually ./spamlist.db
> bogohome: . -, err: 22, Invalid argument
> Can't open file 'spamlist.db'
> Regards, Markus

Looks like spamlist.db is b0rked.  Likely it's been bad for a while and
you just didn't know it.  Now you've got to go back to basics :-(

All the way back would be to use whatever ham and spam you have and
create a brand new wordlist.

You might be able to go "halfway", i.e. use the tokens from goodlist.db
and register whatever spam you have available.  The two "goodlist"
commands, i.e. "bogoutil -d" and "cat | awk | bogoutil -l", will all you
to preserve your existing goodlist.  For spam, you'll have to register
whatever you've got.

You can protect against similar problems in the future by running
"bogoutil -d" (from a daily cron job) to have a backup.  Longer term,
we'll have Matthias' transaction code for BerkeleyDB which will give us
protection against database corruption.

Good luck!

P.S.  The proper address for the list is bogofilter at :-)