How to deal with extremely high spam levels

Bob Vincent bobvin at pillars.net
Sat Jul 10 00:29:48 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:41:41AM -0400, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Doing exhaustive training should move hams and spams out away from
> 0.5.

Promised I'd report back once I got things back under control, so here goes.

I'm running bogominitrain once a day to update my database.

If it doesn't close off in 3 or 4 runs, it's usually a misclassified
message.  So when that happens, I restore the database, correct the
error, and re-run bogominitrain.

Once a week, I delete my database, register all of my hams (I still
don't have over 1000 of them), and run bogominitrain again.  Then I
cat all the bogominitrain.spam.* files together, sort by date, and
overwrite my spam folder with them.

This keeps my ham::spam ratio pretty close to 1::1 and also lets me
throw away over 90% of my spams without losing training accuracy.

Now I just gotta write some scripts to automate this process.

Thanks for all the help, all!