Mailing Lists

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Mar 12 18:06:45 CET 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Matthias,
>
> Yesterday I did the old Freshmeat search for mailing lists and
> downloaded source for ezmlm, mailman, and majordomo2.
>
> I also ran across demime, noticed Nick Simicich's name, and followed the
> link to squawk.com.  There I learned that he's successfully using
> majordomo2 and is very happy with it.  Obviously its usable and works
> well or he wouldn't be using it.
>
> Reading the docs of the 3 MLM's, I knew Adrian is using ezmlm and that
> gives it a head start.  The dependency on qmail knocked it out of the
> running.  However Matthias' info changed _that_.  So it's back in the
> candidate list.
>
> Can you send me the perl script?  Time for some experimentation...

You're running Postfix, so we can skip Perl and use qmail-qmqpc instead,
provided you can offer a subdomain such as lists.osagesoftware.com.

If so,

1. configure Postfix to accept QMQP connections from 127.0.0.1 (see
Postfix' QMQP_README),

2. install qmail for lists.osagesoftware.com (that's
the only entry that should be in /var/qmail/control/locals) BUT OMIT THE
qmail-smtpd INSTALLATION AND DO NOT REPLACE /usr/sbin/sendmail.

3. unpack ezmlm, patch it for ezmlm-idx, find any "bin/qmail-queue"
strings in the ezmlm-idx source code, change them to "bin/qmail-qmqpc",
compile and install ezmlm-idx,

4. Add a qmail entry to master.cf like this:

qmail  unix     -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    flags=R user=qmailq argv=/var/qmail/bin/sendmail ${recipient}

5. tell Postfix with transport_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/transport_maps in
   main.cf (remember to run postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport_maps and
   postfix reload after the changes) to forward mail for the whole lists
   domain into qmail,

6. Just in case, also add a line to /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:

:mail.osagesoftware.com

7. Then launch qmail, set up a test list with ezmlm-make and play
   around. If you don't have csh, but bash, using
   bash -c '/var/qmail/rc & disown' should do the trick.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

I am wondering though why the list needs to move. Has Adrian become
uncapable of handling it?