databases

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Mar 7 13:49:06 CET 2003

At 07:14 AM 3/7/03, Greg Louis wrote:

>On 20030307 (Fri) at 1304:17 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > I'd be chary about MySQL, it is said to be less robust than other SQL
> > data bases (that's what I gather from a quick glance at a c't article on
> > free SQL data bases, among others MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP DB and one other).
>
>Hasn't broken in my hands in three-ish years of moderately heavy use.
>I have no experience of the other free DBs but I'd recommend MySQL as
>adequately robust for an average RDBMS application.  IMHO bogofilter
>decidedly isn't an RDBMS application, though -- we need speed and
>simplicity.

Greg and Matthias,

BerkeleyDB is behaving well at the present time.  Matthias' locking changes
have fixed the corruption problems and my token sorting fix have fixed the
speed problem.  The only related issues I'm aware of are locking problems
with some NFS problems and Clint's segfaults on S390 during "make
check".  I think we're in good shape right now.

Some people have expressed interest in postgresql and mysql.  If they feel
the need/desire to create the necessary interface code, i.e.
database_mysql.c and database_postgresql.c, I'm willing to include the code
as configurable options.  Remember that we have a friend with configure
(autoconf).