multiple mail servers?

Adrian Otto aotto at aotto.com
Tue Sep 24 23:29:48 CEST 2002

Jeremy,

> What's the expected mode of operation for shops with multiple
> mail servers?
> Obviously we want our mail to still be checked against the same spam
> database.  My understanding is it's not advisable to share file locks over
> NFS, and I don't think with the DB/mm stuff it's even all that possible to
> have an NFS solution.
>
> Has this been considered?  Is this another reason to consider
> going back to autodaemon (with IP support)?

I have an architecture and development plan for a distributed version of
bogofilter where any component can run on a remote host using IP between
hosts. Because it's a rather different monster than bogofilter, I wanted to
focus on making the current bogofilter stable and efficient before adding
the distributed computing infrastructure code to it.

In the mean time, I think what we should consider is make a modular data
source abstraction with a selectable data storage method. We could write
modules for LDAP, SQL/ODBC, BerkeleyDB, etc. Those familiar with Postfix
will remember that it supports a variety of ways to store/access maps. I'd
suggest an implementation similar to that.

For an immediate workaround, you CAN use file locking over NFS. I created a
FAQ entry about this:

http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/bogofilter-faq.html#nfs

Enjoy,

Adrian