Hey! Woah! git conversion!!

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu May 23 22:32:00 CEST 2019

Hey!

Matthias Andree wrote in <ddc461a5-c68e-0393-b285-cd9e2531097c at gmx.de>:
 |Am 21.05.19 um 19:22 schrieb Steffen Nurpmeso:
 |> Hello Matthias!
 |>
 |> In the process of looking around at Sourceforge because of my
 |> upcoming bogofilter port for CRUX-Linux (there is none yet; and
 |> with LMDB and therefore: can i somehow download an official
 |> tarball via Sourceforge/SVN) i have seen that just recently, what
 |> a coincidence, you have converted the repo to git and have also
 |> created a gitlab project, from which i seem to know that balls
 |> will be no problem!
 |
 |Yeah, but tarballs were not the reason for the conversion. Disconnected
 |use, full-content clones, author attributions, signed tags, better
 |branching/merging support, easier forking with pull/merge requests and
 |thereabouts.

Oh, wow.  And sure, i have my clone now!
--aggressive gc is heavyweight, and tags "introduce heads" which
enlargens the synchronization list.  At the beginning i wondered
when repo.or.cz synchronizes the git repo with my master, my
s-roff clone (or that code which lies around unloved) is bigger
(especially once i added the repo.or.cz clones), but only requires
3118 bytes, whereas the mailer takes 49526.  Still not that much,
and at sometime i read they want to introduce a new protocol to
improve that.  I don't want to know what the Linux kernel or the
FreeBSD repo takes...

 |> Thanks that you have found time for doing the conversion, this
 |> really is great news for me and my use case(s).
 |
 |It was, in fact, long overdue...

It is great you have found the time to do it, for sure!

 |> P.S.: I am confident that this message will not reach the list
 |> and instead be classified as spam.  Yay.
 |
 |Huh? Why would it?

Well i thought because of the subject!  Was really surprised it
came back in.
Ciao, Matthias!

--steffen