Converting old wordlist.db to Berkeley format?

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 10:28:35 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have been using bogofilter since 2003, and have a large wordlist.db (154Mb),
that has been regularly compacted, using the pre-0.93 bogofilter instructions
in the FAQ. Negligently I have stayed with an old self-compiled version of
bogofilter which has been perfectly adequate for my needs.  One reason for that
is that I vaguely recall (it was ages ago), having problems when the change to
the Berkeley DB was made.

For reasons with which I need not bore you, I now want to use the current
(1.2.4) bogofilter from my Arch distro repo.  If I run ..

bogoutil -d wordlist.db | bogoutil -l wordlist.db.new

.. the command generates: 573 log files, a 115.3 Mb wordlist.db.new, __db.001,
__db.002, __db.003, lockfile-d and lockfile-p

The resulting wordlist (renamed to wordlist.db, of course) does not, however,
appear to be usable:

db_verify: /home/me/.bogofilter/wordlist.db: No such file or directory
BDB5105 Verification of /home/me/.bogofilter/wordlist.db failed.

Attempts to use bogoutil -w fail with :
Error accessing file or directory '/home/me/.bogofilter/wordlist.db'.
error #2 - No such file or directory.

.. even though the directory and file are certainly present.

Tried bf_compact:

bf_compact ~/.bogofilter
BDB0552 Page 0: last_pgno is not correct: 29539 != 29517
BDB0540 Page 29517: invalid next_pgno 29518
/home/me/.bogofilter/wordlist.db: BDB0090 DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database
verification failed bogoutil[15631]: database wordlist.db does not verify:
BDB0090 DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification
failed /home/me/.bogofilter/wordlist.db corrupted, aborting.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my old wordlist.db never going to be usable
with current bogofilter?

Sorry for the long post.

Geoff