Apparent Memory error in BF and Mutt

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Jul 7 05:04:58 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 02:35:59AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > It has been about a decade since I last used Bogofilter, so I don't
> > remember a lot.
>
> Apparently your file system remembered more than was useful for the
> newer software version :-)

Interesting how history accumulates, isn't it?

> These log files contain the transaction log, after an upgrade, Berkeley
> DB will just create a new one if the format changed.

Or if the directory disappears!

> I do not see __db.00* and log.* files.  This means that the database is
> not in transactional mode, meaning that it can get corrupted in an
> application or computer crash, and would then have to be restored from
> backup, or recreated from scratch.
>
> If you desire to upgrade this to a transactional database such that it
> can be recovered from software and some classes of hardware crashes,
> it suffices to run the NEXT bogoutil or bogofilter command that access
> the database with --db-transaction=yes, such as:
>
> 	bogofilter --db-transaction=yes </dev/null

I just did that, and, as you predicted, the new files were created.

I had considered trying to upgrade the old wordlist.db file, but since
the system seems to be learning quite quickly, I didn't bother.

Thank you again for your help Matthias.

Brian