Apparent Memory error in BF and Mutt

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Jul 6 09:29:04 CEST 2016

Am 05.07.2016 um 05:26 schrieb Brian McCullough:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just built a new machine and installed bogofilter, procmail and
> mutt.
>
> However, every time that I try to use bogofilter from mutt, I get the
> following messages:
>
> BDB0126 mmap: Cannot allocate memory
> bogofilter[22611]: cannot join environment: Cannot allocate memory
>
> What have I done wrong?

Hi Brian,

welcome onboard.

What's gone wrong is hard to tell without further information, as this
is a failure mode I don't recall from memory.

Something seems to spoil up the database up front.  Might be a typo in
the command line arguments that lead to an issue that Berkeley DB does
not report in an eye-catching way, might be broken files, might be
something else.

Can we start by asking:

- how is bogofilter called from mutt (command line arguments, wrapper
script, ...)?

- the output of running "bogofilter -V" (that's a capital Vee at the end)

- the operating system and version (the output of uname -a is also
appreciated)

- the file system used for your home directory

And if you're using default directories, the output of

  env LC_ALL=C ls -lab $HOME/.bogofilter $HOME/.bogofilter.cf

It would be good to see debugging output, from these commands:

  bogofilter -QQ

  bogofilter -vvvv -xdygbc </dev/null

Does your mutt integration change the environment in a special way, are
you using wrapper scripts, or are you just piping into bogofilter
commands and binding those to key sequences?

We'll then work from there.

Cheers,
Matthias