[maildropl] error writing to filter (bogofilter)

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Sun Jun 16 21:12:04 CEST 2013

* David Relson on Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 11:27:10 -0400
> I was expecting that stdin.out would be 8k, not the 40k shown.
>
> Since 40k is far short of the 333,309 bytes in the problem message, I
> conclude this is a MacOS specific problem -- possibly a maildrop issue,
> but more likely a pipe issue.

Or rather Mac OS with 64bit architecture and maildrop.
Interestingly enough the fink package manager does not offer
maildrop for Mac OS > 10.6:
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/maildrop?rel_id=10.5-i386-current-stable

> Of course as I wrote the above, another possibility occurred. Within
> the bogofilter debug output, the problem manifests itself in yyinput.
> This is part of the grammar generated by flex.  Past experience shows
> that flex isn't perfect. Bogofilter's build includes patches for some
> old versions of flex, though none are needed for v2.5.35 and later
> versions.  Possibly flex has an issue...

$ flex --version
flex 2.5.35 Apple(flex-31)

But as it worked on the older Mac ...

I also tried with compiling both bogofilter and maildrop against
fink's so-called flex-devel:

flex-devel-2.5.35-2: Fast lexical analyser generator
 Flex is a tool for generating programs that require pattern-matching
 on text. It is usually used together with yacc/bison to automatically
 generate a parser for a language grammar, e.g. the syntax of a
 configuration file.
 .
 This is a version of Flex that generates better C++ code than the
 standard 2.5.4 Flex, but also has some compatibility problems with
 the older flex as well, so it installs into /sw/lib/flex and must
 be explicitly linked by projects that want to use it.
 .
 Usage Notes:
 You will need to explicitly add the paths to this version of flex
 to your environment to use it (so that it doesn't get in the way of
 the "regular" flex).
 .
 Generally you should be able to do it by doing something like:
 .
   export PATH="/sw/lib/flex/bin:$PATH"
   export CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/lib/flex/include"
   export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib/flex/lib"
 .
 Web site: http://flex.sourceforge.net/
 .
 Maintainer: Benjamin Reed <flex-devel at fink.racoonfink.com>

But it did not change the problem.

> Upon further reflection, a flex issue wouldn't cause the stdin.out size
> problem, and I return to the problem being with maildrop or pipes.

My bet is still maildrop - or rather maildrop on this OS version.

--
theatre - books - texts - movies
Black Trash Productions at home: http://www.blacktrash.org