New user and question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Oct 29 13:36:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
Doug wrote:

> Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
>
> I am seeing a big change as time goes on and I train. I changed the
> spam/ham values and trained both spam and ham from the unsure list
> and things are working much better. Since I am using the -u option in
> the procmail call bumping the spam threshold down reinforces the spam
> hits. I guess that is the same as training manually but it makes it
> easier. I am getting very few unsure's now and no false spam or ham
> with the exception of things I want to force one way or the other. I
> also use RBS filtering directly in sendmail as well as a fairly
> extensive access list restricting many sites and IP blocks before
> they even get to procmail. Even so I get at least a hundred spams a
> day.
>
> I turned off Spamassasin as it really was not doing anything or
> needed with bogofilter working the way it is.
>

> Doug

Doug,

Continue to train with all the unsures.  That's pretty much necessary
to keep bogofilter up-to-date.

Be careful with "-u" and false positives (FP) and false negatives (FN).
When using "-u" false results tend to magnify unless you watch for such
message and retrain properly with them.  For a FP (ham scored as spam),
it is necessary to run bogofilter with the -S and -n flags.  For a FN
(spam scored as ham) run bogofilter with the -N and -s flags.  These
flags are described in bogofilter's man page.

HTH,