Bogofilter accuracy plummets starting around March 10, 2010

Thomas Anderson tanderson at orderamidchaos.com
Sat Apr 10 07:01:07 CEST 2010

On 4/9/2010 6:30 PM, David Relson wrote:
> "Invisible headers" is not a term I recognize.  If you wish to have
> particular headers ignored, I suggest you let grep do the work, i.e.
> pipe your message through an appropriate "egrep -v "^(this|or|that):"
> command.

David, if I may be so presumptuous as to interpret, I think he means
headers which are not visible to the recipient (i.e. not displayed in
common mail clients) and also serve no functional purpose for routing or
display.  Thus they are an opportunity for a spammer to put whatever
text they want (presumably tested as hammy) in order to influence
statistical filters and not impact their "visible" message.

Dmitry, whether spamitarium does it (or egrep as David suggested), or if
it's built into bogofilter, it's still the same amount of work being
done.  I'm perfectly happy not submitting bogofilter to feature creep
and instead employing the *nix philosophy of building tools for a narrow
purpose and stringing them together to do more complex tasks.

Tom