Learning Backscatter

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jan 10 20:10:09 CET 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:47:35 +0000
RW wrote:

> I was wondering how good Bogofilter is at distinguishing between
> backscatter, and legitimate delivery failure messages.
>
> Specifically, does it look inside the attached original email.

Bogofilter processes various types of attachments.  It parses and
scores text, text/plain, text/html, multipart, and message mime
types.  Application, image, audio, and video mime types are ignored.

So, the attached original email will be scanned and scored.  You can
verify this empirically by running bogofilter with "-vvv" and looking
at the tokens and their scores.

Regards,