possible idea for backscatter problem

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu May 8 11:20:40 CEST 2008

On Wed, 07 May 2008, David Relson wrote:

> On Thu, 08 May 2008 00:07:25 +0200
> Laurent CARON wrote:
>
> > .rp wrote:
> > > So, need a rule that would parse the "Message-ID:" in the body (or
> > > attachment) and not header, and look for the @FQDN
> > > Is this rule already out in the wild?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you sure this is bogofilter's job to reject messages based on a
> > part of the body?
> >
> > Why not using functionnalities of your mail server (if available) ?
> >
> > Laurent
>
> .rp,
>
> Use the backscatter messages to train bogofilter.  With enough of them
> trained as spam, bogofilter will start to recognize their distinctive
> words and, after a while, will start to classify them as spam.
>
> I started that training a while ago and bogofilter now classifies most
> such messages as spam.  The ones that it misses are used for training.

On the other hand, Laurent's suggestion of blocking such on the
mailserver isn't all bad - after all, it stops pollution of bogofilter
databases if there's a single strong indicator for backscatter spam,
plus with in-band filtering (Postfix and perhaps some milter-based
software can do that) the mail is rejected during the SMTP transaction,
which will have several advantages.