bogofilter->Postfix integration

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jul 1 10:41:43 CEST 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, paul at paulbeard.org wrote:

> OK, I re-introduced the bogofilter lines in master.cf: find an updated
> version below. I just sent an email to that account, and it was delivered,
> but still no header. I see the greylist message in my syslog, but even
> with this line -- logger "bogofilter in the house at $$" -- in the
> postfix-filter script, I see nothing happening. It doesn't seem to be
> firing.

Just a stupid question, to avoid the obvious "radio doesn't work? Plug
it in" mistake: did you run "postconf reload" after changing the
configuration file? I presume you did, but I'm still asking :-)

main.cf is unsuspicious at first glance.

> > egrep -v '^[[:space:]]*#' /etc/postfix/master.cf
>
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -v
>         -o content-filter=filter:

How does mail enter your system? Via SMTP? If you're using getmail or
something that injects via "sendmail" command, then the filter is
bypassed since smtpd isn't in the loop.

> filter    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=R user=filter argv=/home/filter/postfix-filter.sh -f ${sender} -- ${recipient}

Looks good, too.

Could you show logging related to a message entering your system the
usual way, all the way from initial submission until final delivery?

Is the script executable?
Do messages remain in the mail queue (check with mailq)?

Note that Postfix and your filter "logger" need not be in the same file,
since Postfix uses the "mail" facility, logger defaults to the "user"
facility (sometimes called "priority" for reasons I don't know). Check
your syslog configuration.